Pomegranates pack a real punch! These ruby gems contain about 600 powerful arils (seeds) with remarkable health benefits including:
- supporting heart health & lowering blood pressure.
- warding off diseases like breast and prostate cancer.
- reducing inflammation & alleviating arthritis and joint pain.
- fighting bacterial and fungal infections.
- improving exercise performance.
In case you need more reason to eat pomegranates, they are loaded with important nutrients including vitamins C, K, folate, potassium, and they are a good source of fiber!
To Seed a Pomegranate
- Cut the top off the pomegranate about ½ inch below the crown.
- Score 4-6 sections divided by the white membrane.
- With both hands, carefully pull apart the sections with the pomegranate submerged in a bowl of cool water.
- Loosen the perils and allow them to sink. The membrane will float making the separation easier.
Sarah Mattison Berndt, MS, RD, CD
Owner Fit Fresh Cuisine & Hybrid Athletic Club